The Psyche And The Persona

The Psyche And The Persona 



 The masks we wear in our day-to-day lives are really quite alarming, but an everyday thing. What happens when the mask becomes to great and overtakes the person itself? Does the persona then replace the person? I am going to use several examples, but most importantly, myself. I am going to be choosing a very unique mask to wear, and study what work that the psychologist Carl Jung had originally brought forth.



 I do not have any issues with my own self identity, but I know that if I am to show my true self then people will attempt to walk all over me. In society, I am perhaps identified as a strong academic type, but this is not by my own choosing. Being the witch or the shaman, maybe even a philosopher, is my own choice, but I know in this world that the only mask I can go to is one associated with my mind. I cannot be seen as a spiritual warrior as this world we live in is made of glass. Why do I attempt to put on masks when I am dealing with social ties? Is it because no one in this world would truly want to see anything besides a persona? Yes, this is the case. Even children in high school wear masks.



 How does my own persona effect my psyche? In my life, I am seen as a leader of my friends and family. They see me as a pillar of strength. This is the way most academic types are seen. Despite whatever anyone says, they want an emotionally strong academic type to lead them. Has my mask completely taken control of me? Perhaps, as my shadow self, I hide those qualities that no one wishes to see, all of them. Whatever qualities those are, I do not know, but where there is no light the shadow is casted. 



 As my complexity rises, I know that there is many parts of my psyche that are valid, however, I cannot escape my mask. It has became me, and I do not know what is my true self. All of this potential realized and so much more. How far does this true self of mine go? Here I am, able to grasp onto all ideas, no ignorance at all. I’ve realized my mask based off of my true self, and I continually feed my persona with my self. This psyche has so many complex parts that not even the greatest minds of all time were aware of. I have became larger than my self based off of my persona. Is this a manifestation of my psyche, a dream came to life in my unconscious?



What of my archetypical behavior? What was I ready to become upon birth? Did anyone see me as the academic type, one of strong emotional strength, a spiritual warrior? Where are all these borrowed dreams and fantasies coming from? Who is my inner hero within? A simple academic type is much more than I am but I fear society will always just see me as an academic type. Let them, for right now, I give into love. My love for others, my love for change. We are not just people who can really shift from one mask to the next, as the persona develops on an individualistic level. The divine healer is not who I am, but could that be the shadow of me, the part I don't want to see? Most would love to see that, but as an academic type, that is negative to see for me. My own persona hates the shadow, yet without my shadow, I would be locked underneath my mask forever.

Comments