The Sunken City Chapter 2 Part 2

 Chapter 2 Part 2






What had gone through my head was dismally vague. I felt as if I were a vessel, content to do whatever my Lord spoke. I had never fully believed it all. My studies had only brought me to just two conclusions: humanity hates me, and that the world is an uncertain place. My body and mind became tireless, and replaced my doubt with newfound belief.


Cindy had to be brought back to modern times. It was too dangerous for us to remain here. Ben followed me, laughing incessantly over absolutely nothing. We had to continue our plight. We couldn't remain in this basement. These books and relics had to stay. We left the manor, chasing after the weird cult. Ben seemed to be rather enjoying himself. I, on the other hand, despised my role. This was outside even my realm of obligation. It's almost certain that I'll never make it back to my world. Everything I had known has died. Sleep, nor death, or even injury may come not come to me. 


The town center was barren now save for a few flaming pillars. Bodies crackled in the consuming nature of this village's bonfire. Perhaps they were plague victims, or such. It doesn't really matter. They lack the lips and tongues to ring truth. Questions couldn't be returned by them. Ben, startled, asked me, quickly, "Why does the sky look like that?" It was a purplish grey. The moon had revealed itself, shedding light upon our faces. We both stared at it, as if we were interrogating a victim in a crime. No, the moon was more the culprit. These crazed feelings the villagers had were brought by its energy. They gathered around us, shifting from the shadows. As they pressed forward we repulsed them, tossing a few into the growing tinder. We had to leave, now. 


The cult had left their traces near the sewers. We climbed into the passage, the smell no worse than the above ground area. Ben's face became stained as if rusted iron, and I dared not to think of the grease that covered me. The path winded down into a curved platform, connecting to what appeared to be a coastal wharf or such. What sort of city builds a dock this low? It figures. The cult had markings on these ships, and probably used them to ferry members from one side of the continent to the next. Cindy, appearing as an apparition in my thoughts, mentioned, "You'll die here." I'll die here? Does she not realize I prefer this to the pursuit of madness? Every waking moment had dissipated me. I had nothing more to experience. 


We ventured aboard the ships, hiding in the cargo, cautiously, together. They weighed anchor and it was off with us. Wherever this boats were heading was our destination. Ben and I knew that Cindy was near. Her attraction pulled us under the deck, where we sat among the crew mates, them believing us to be their own. Good. It's best we stay peaceful until this journey is over. What is to be expected is the unexpected. Our listless souls had tangled with Cthulhu. He was eager to meet our hearts with despair. All of our material goods had left us, and we were to be met with utmost care. Our lives were his sway, and we were to be players in his resurrection. Nothing could go back. Cthulhu yearns to walk the Earth, his emotionless banter taunting all. His ramblings had brought an intelligence to us none deemed plausible. As the ship tolled its bell, I realized all of us were not alone.

Comments