The Sunken City Chapter 2 Part 1

 The Sunken City





Chapter 2 Part 1



The manor was now in cliffs heading towards the cavern's ceiling. Rocky ground led us to the building, which unexpectedly had the front doors open. We ventured inside, where we were greeted by the waiting Cindy Cartwright. She was in a blue dress, her blonde hair and blue eyes gleaming at us, especially me. She smiled, her radiance shining through the dark room, and asked, "Was it hard finding me?" Ben smirked, and replied, "Like you could not believe." Sue stepped forward, her dress moving swiftly with her. She examined me, not turning her attention for a full minute. Cynthia then said, with a drawn deep breath, "So you've came." I was puzzled. Instead of being treated as a lesser being, she acted as if I was some angelic figure. I asked, still confused, "What do you mean?" Cindy laughed, and said, "For your destiny. He has expected you." I realized now that the Cartwright heir had been fully pulled into the cult. She had disappeared from the world perhaps because of this. Cat had disappeared, and Ben had began to examine the manor, not moving from his place in the room. I sighed, and told Cindy, "We have to bring you back." Cindy now laughed again, and said, in a stern tone, "Not until he walks in the realm of the unknowning." The unknowing. She speaks of those who do not know of this cosmic plane. Here, they all worship the being from my dreams. Cthulhu has called me, much as he has called the Cartwright girl.


A crash sounded from the background, and Ben quickly went to investigate. Cat had left through the window, obviously willing to find her own way home. I have no doubt that our paths will cross yet another time. She was as a black cat, aggressively gravitating towards you. Cindy became frustrated, and said, "She's unimportant. Come." She led both Ben and I to the same basement that had led us to this Sunken City. Instead of a cavern, it was like any other basement. In it was shelves and shelves of books, and tables containing several occult artifacts, including the same flesh that had been seen on the beach of Innsmouth. Cynthia extended her hand to the room, and offered, "Read what you will, take what you want. Maybe you can both become useful." I pondered what my so called destiny might be. In such scenarios, cults always want some ritual done. Perhaps her books could lead me to the truth. I began to study each book I could, filling hours with cryptic knowledge all mentioning an outer realm. In this cosmic reality, there was great beings who existed outside humanity's limited intelligence. They controlled society, indirectly effecting it, causing certain individuals to go mad. These were the priests that Cthulhu had brought forth, their bodies immortal and minds warped from his teachings. Sleep didn't come for these beings, who filled their days and nights with reading and teaching their disciples the way of their forbidden ruler. Cthulhu was not quite their God, and not really their demon, but more a high priest who commanded his legions fearlessly. The books stated that he was "Dead but dreaming." Dead but dreaming? How could the dead dream?


I realised that Ben had ate of the meat on the plate, himself obviously hungry after the countless hours we had chased after Cindy. His eyes glowed silver, and his words sounded deeper. He said, and I'll never forget his words, "George, I think we need to get out of here." Try as I might to leave now, I couldn't. I had to find the truth. I consumed the whale meat, too, it's flavor abhorbal but appealing at the same time.

Comments