Poverty And Teen Depression

Poverty And Teen Depression






Growing up in a poor family will make you depressed. As a teen, we often can obsess over money, or the lack of it. We want to try and escape our busy social lives, as school and all of our classmates can leave us drained. Coming home and finding little food to eat or few things to do can really make your depression worse. Arguments over finances between your parents can often leave you in the middle of their disputes. Being poor is one of the main causes of teen depression.


I'm not poor by any means but I have friends who are poor. They hate the fact that they can't get anything they actually want. It makes them sad and utterly breathless. Some might tell them to get jobs, but, for many teens, this isn't an option. (It’s funny how we forget that 13-year-olds and 14-year-olds are teens, too!) Your family's financial woes may be so bad that you can hardly ever get money for new clothes and even food to eat. Being poor can effect everything we do. Some kids get taken away from their families because of it. This can make you feel responsible for the whole mess, which will definitely make your depression worsen. Xmas and birthday can make us upset as we receive little to nothing for gifts. The holiday season can really suck when you're poor. My heart goes out to all of you who are suffering. It's my deepest regret that you may not have a meaningful Xmas, or maybe a good life at all. Depression on a teenage level is a nightmare. There is hope, though.


For every moment you suffer with poverty and depression, you become stronger. The problems we face in life today will make us able to survive whatever this life may throw at us tomorrow. I urge you to find a way to overcome your depression and poverty. You should find a job when you can. (Fifteen and a half is the magic number for getting a teenage job here in America, or so I've heard. I'm not sure if it's in my future, but it may be a great way for you to make new friends and even overcome your depression, at least a little.) I have a few links for you that may come in handy. I want you to know it's never too late for you to take control of your depression and your life. As always, I am Ameila Varner, your host of Get Help Now. I'm hoping that the holidays won't have a negative effect on you. If they do, I want you to know that life is worth living and that I love you. Sure, I'm just a little thirteen-year-old to you, but, trust me, I know what you're going through. Okay, here's that link. Paste it into Chrome or whatever browser you use. It’s really scientific but I'm sure you can at least understand it a little.





https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2672881/



You can also talk to other teens about your problems right here at this link. Copy it into your browser and get connected.


https://teenlineonline.org

Comments