Teen Depression And The Holidays

Teen Depression And The Holidays






It's that time again. Thanksgiving and that long holiday stretch afterwards. For most teens, holidays are fun, a time to hang out with friends and family. They love the fact that they don't have to go to school for awhile, and hate it when they have to go back. Those teens get to eat turkey, and they can look forward to Christmas presents during winter break. For the depressed teen, though, being home can be absolutely dreadful. The vast majority of our problems come from the fact that we live in a broken home. Although it's not true for some, I'm sure for many of you, it is. Why would any of us want to be where the war is? For that reason, depressed teens hate the holidays and all the pain that comes with them.


It is normal for the depressed teen to dread holidays. Holidays can be draining. Even if you have a perfect home life like me, you can still get depressed. Although my frustrations come from the fact that it is hard to relate to other teens, that doesn't mean that I love holidays. It just reminds me of all those kids out there who have friends to hang out with on their school break. I know my story may be less significant than yours, but I only want you to know you aren't alone.


You are probably wondering, “Ameila, how is this supposed to make us feel better?” Honestly, I'm getting to that. Holidays don't have to be depressing. You can find a way to escape the holiday teen blues. Get involved with treatment, join a youth group, find a boys and girls club, go to the library, do whatever you can. Journal, read self-help books, heck, ask for money to go to the movies. Even if you love your parents like me, staying home and leaving yourself alone with your thoughts can be deadly. There is a way to escape your depression, and finding people to connect with is crucial. Don't fall into what I call “The Facebook Trap.” That is where you try to replace hanging out with real people with the artificial means we call social media. Trust me, social media can really suck.


Teen depression can be like a wildfire on the holidays. Don't let yourself fall into bad thoughts. Idle time can kill you. Find something to do and don't let yourself think. Most of the time we start to cut because of our thoughts. Thoughts dominate our actions, and bad thoughts lead to really bad stuff that can leave us broken. Be safe over these next few months, okay? I love you and think of you all as my friends. (I know, you think of me as just a little girl, but I do care.) Let's beat teen depression together. As always, I am Ameila Varner, your host of Get Help Now, wishing you a happy Thanksgiving. I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Comments