How Teen Depression Happens

How Teen Depression Happens





People try to simplify depression. They play it off. They avoid you. They think you'll be fine. For a teen, it's even worse. You become a drag to them, and they leave you to go on with their studies and happy lives. It feels horrible. Being a teen is like one of the worst things there is, right? Responsibility mixes with our need to fit in, and sometimes, we just want to cry. Crying is normal for teens, it really is, but that doesn't mean you're okay. You want attention from your friends and family, and sometimes, you don't get enough. You say, "Ugh! When does this ever end?" You may get sad, and even have bad thoughts. You might even hurt yourself. It becomes a vicious cycle, until it sometimes ends with the culmination of suicide. I didn't say rarely, as teen suicide is much more common than it has ever been. This thing called depression, you know, it sucks. If we were all honest, I'm sure that all of us would reveal we have been depressed at sometime, including me. Yes, you might say, "Ameila, you're so talented! How could you ever be sad?" My mom and dad fully know that outside of them and teachers, I feel alone. I'll sometimes stay awake too long, or even sleep way too long. I'm only thirteen and a half, and I have came to the full realization that I'm not invincible. You aren't either. It's okay to cry. It's okay to feel sad, but you don't have to feel alone. You can get help and be living an enjoyable life, whether you fully recover or not.

When my dad's work slowed down on this blog, as he is working on three other continuing projects, I begged him to let me take over this blog. He gave it to me, as he loves me and would do just about anything for me. Now, I don't feel so alone. I have a voice that has hardly ever been heard before. I feel okay enough to tell you I when get upset. My mom has spent most of her life shielding me, as she spent most of her life in depression until she met my dad. Now, it's my dad's turn to work miracles for me. He always tells me no matter what he will always love me. Even still, I'm tired of being a little kid and playing with my phone in an imaginary world that I've created to keep me away from reality. I'm gifted with my intelligence but sometimes my emotions overwhelm me. Impulse control isn't something us teens have. We may fall silent and wish we were happy, hoping that some fairytale hero will save us. Trust me, that's just a lie we tell ourselves to make us accept where our life is. This is how teen depression happens, with a simple lie we tell ourselves. "This is normal." "Other kids are like this." "I'll get better one day." These are the lies we tell ourselves. How do we get rid of these lies? By accepting the fact that we're not okay. If you really want to get better, you need to tell someone you trust that you are depressed. Get help, and get it now. Don't wait. Find someone who cares enough to help you with your struggle against what a nightmare teenage depression really is. Treatment isn't so scary anymore. Who knows? Maybe you'll enjoy it. Group therapy can make you new friends who can support you as you learn about your symptoms and how to cope with them. You can support those new friends, too. Not only do you need them, they need you. I am Ameila Varner, and I'm telling you you can get help now for your teen depression. Don't wait. Take action now.

Comments